FREE to be Me ...

Wednesday, July 29, 2009

The difference between HARD and HARD WORK

I am learning that there is a difference between things that are hard and things that take work.

Tasks are often time consuming - requiring thought, calculation, and effort. But that does not make them HARD. It only means that you must commit to do something - That you must work.

Sometimes I find myself expecting too many shortcuts. I want that "Just add water" trick to apply in life situations. I look for strategies that don't involve work, but are more like a color by number. . . A self explanatory, and almost mindless activity that will produce the results that I want. I am learning to recognize a specific attitude that takes over. It sound like this: "I am busy, over-tasked, under supported, and the idea of having to dig deep into something in excruciating detail with painstaking effort makes my skin crawl." And it is called lazy - most likely developed by being spoiled and overly blessed. I like to pretend that the short cuts are for efficiency and time-management . . . but it is an excuse to avoid work.

And work is not torture after all. It is reality. It is simply doing, initiating, creating or trying. A privilege in fact! The mind is what makes us believe it is HARD. Tasks are not usually unbearable - it is the deciding to do them that is agonizing. I think of phone calls I don't want to make or I mull over repetitive chores that must be done. In these scenarios what is the HARD part? Is picking up a phone and dialing numbers difficult? I only call them hard because I don't want to do them.

I am not saying that there is no such thing as a hard job. Manual labor that pushes you beyond your physical limits, or paperwork that is complex and seems to be incomprehensible... those are hard things to accomplish - but are they hard to work on? After an honest look inside myself I find that hard work is good whether the task is hard or not.

Working hard is a must, but it isn't hard.

If I am not willing to expend the time, effort, and resources to work (properly and comprehensively without taking the easy way) I have no room to wonder why I was unsuccessful. And no justification in believing I deserve success. The result is not guaranteed.

I am learning:

"Do not pray for lighter burdens - Pray for stronger backs and a stronger will"

"If a job is worth doing, someone will say it is too hard."

"
Effort is the price which all of us must pay to achieve any goal that is worthwhile."




posted by Jake and RaNette Free at 10:53 AM

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home