FREE to be Me ...

Monday, February 7, 2011

To be Transparent

A recent discussion at a Relief Society event was centered around the question - What qualities do you find most  likeable in other women? In other words, what draws you to become friends with them? Surely we know what qualities attract us to men, for we start noticing that around age __ (answers may vary).

My original answer was “women who are low-maintenance." You know... the kind that you love to have over because they genuinely don't care if your house is a mess - The kind that don't have to be doing something elaborate or expensive to have a great time - The kind that can laugh when their make up smears or their plans go horribly wrong.

After hearing some of the other answers in the group, there was another answer I liked even better. Women who are transparent.  At first glance I realize this word has a negative connotation, but I would ask that you reconsider your grammatically instinctive feelings and consider the definition: Transparent = easily seen through, recognized, or detected. If you are transparent, I can see through you to the center of who you are. You are you, and you’ve always been you. You know your strengths just as well as you know your flaws. And other people can see them, recognize them, or detect them as well.

Since I am, let's be honest, probably never ever going to be as low maintenance as I would like to be (sorry Jake), I think I will try to achieve a degree of transparency. I want to be transparent. When you see me, I want you to see me. Kind of like on Avatar - "I see you" (sorry for the nerd reference, but I fully admit to loving that movie.)  For all that I am, good and bad, and all that I’ve become. An honest depiction of my true desires that go all the way through me. Go ahead, view my strengths and weaknesses, so I know that I am being REAL.

So to all of you women out there who have "low-maintenance" tendencies or have achieved some level of "transparency" --- I find you likeable. :)
posted by Jake and RaNette Free at 12:22 PM

1 Comments:

Wow, I LOVE this post. It is very deep. One of those things that make you feel like you want to be more than who you are. In a better way. If that makes any sense. I used to have walls up so tight that it was SO hard for me to let people in. I was so afraid of getting hurt. But now I am realizing more and more...no one can hurt me. I CHOOSE wheather or not I am hurt. (Emotionally...I guess people can hurt me physically if they wanted to...but I don't like to be around those types of people) lol. So I definitely like the idea of being transparent. Because if you like you, others like you. And if they don't then you can like you enough for the both of you. :) I love you netters. You are very transparent in my eyes. :)

February 7, 2011 at 10:55 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home